Many families have traditions that dictate when to put up the Christmas tree. Is earlier better? Right after Thanksgiving? How about Christmas Eve? When do you do it?
As a child, we put up our live tree we’d cut down off of our ranch around December 10th. As a family, we hunted for deer in October, walking the canyons and eyeing any possible tree and scoping them out. We always debated the size: Dad, my brother and I always wanted a big one. Mom wanted one to put on the coffee table.
When we moved into our new home in 1967, my brother and Dad selected the tree. This house had a higher ceiling, so they went for big—REALLY TALL! When they brought it into the house and the top curled over, they had to cut it off! What I remember is the delicious smell of a fresh cut tree!
As an adult, any time I came home for Thanksgiving, we would cut down trees the weekend after Thanksgiving. I love live, fresh trees! So, I decided the earlier I put it up the better! I usually put up my tree the first week of December. That gave me more time to enjoy it and all the decorations.
For several years I spent Thanksgiving away from home, so I bought live trees off of lots in Albuquerque. It shocked me how dry they were! To my horror, I found out they had been cut down months before. I realized I couldn’t put up that dead tree and be safe for a month, like usual. That forced us to buy an artificial tree!
Then, I returned to putting it up the first week of December and that has been my habit ever since! And yes, we have an artificial tree. I miss the smell of a piñon pine and the fun of cutting down a tree off of our family ranch, but we have decided artificial is the way to go for now.
For certain, it’s a personal choice! I love everything about a Christmas tree! Grab a cup of hot chocolate and a cookie. Turn off the lights and turn on your favorite Christmas music. Soak up the warmth of a lit Christmas tree! And make memories!
When do you put yours up? Is yours live or artificial? Why?
~Visit my two blog posts from last week:
- Holiday Greetings from the Flippos’ and Who Else? https://laradasbooks.com/2020/12/06/holiday-greetings-from-the-flippos-and-who-else/
- Enjoy Three New Mexico Christmas Traditions! https://laradasbooks.com/2020/12/02/enjoy-three-new-mexico-christmas-traditions/
~HAVE YOU ORDERED A PERSONALLY AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF THE FLIPPO BIOGRAPHY FOR A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR A LOVED ONE OR YOURSELF? AVAILABLE NOW! Go to the homepage on my website & pay for it there: https://www.laradasbooks.com
~Here’s Christmas greetings from Flippo & Neeca, featuring his song, “When Its Christmas Time in Texas”: https://youtu.be/mpJCUGffU3A
ALL FOUR E-BOOK FORMATS OF FLIPPO’S BIOGRAPHY AVAILABLE NOW:
- Apple Books (US) – https://books.apple.com/us/book/just-another-square-dance-caller/id151164203
- Kobo (US) – https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/just-another-square-dance-caller
- Apple Books (CA) – https://books.apple.com/ca/book/just-another-square-dance-caller/id1511642036
- Apple Books (UK) – https://books.apple.com/gb/book/just-another-square-dance-caller/id1511642036
- Apple Books (AU) – https://books.apple.com/au/book/just-another-square-dance-caller/id151164(US)
- Amazon Kindle (US) – https://www.amazon.com/Just-Another-Square-Dance-Caller-ebook/dp/B088QS9RH8
- Amazon Kindle (UK) – https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088QS9RH8
- Amazon Kindle (CA) – https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B088QS9RH8
- Barnes & Noble Nook (US) – https://www.barnes&noble.com/s/just%20another%20square%20dance%20caller
~Visit my web site for all the information you need about me & my books: https://www.laradasbooks.com
~ Visit my Etsy Shop for 25% off individual paperback titles. Good until December 20, 2020. Here’s the coupon link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LaradasReadingLoft?coupon=25OFFS&IA1220INDIV